When a power failure struck a UK solicitor’s office in 2016 and took IT systems offline for several hours, the company risked potentially losing international customers. This motivated the company to rethink its current electrical equipment, particularly its distribution board.
The distribution board the company was using had been installed almost fifty years previously and, while it had been modified over the years, the amalgamated board was still outdated and not compliant with BS7671 IET Wiring Regulations Seventeenth Edition. The solicitors then turned to ide to bring the electrical infrastructure up to date and minimise downtime.
Engineers from ide designed and manufactured a 400A distribution board to replace the existing, dated equipment. The new distribution board is compliant with BS7671 IET Wiring Regulations Seventeenth Edition and includes a manual changeover switch connected to a four-pole moulded-case circuit breaker (MCCB), with panel mount 500A drain connectors offering a plug and play connection to a standby generator should a power outage occur.
As the original equipment was located next to the kitchen facilities of the main building, the board was designed into an IP55-rated enclosure with a knife-edge door closure and neoprene seal, ensuring protection from dust and water sprays. Internal safety shrouds were also added to protect against accidental contact. To ensure that staff could react effectively to any problems, the control panel of the board included a global system for mobile communication (GSM) device. This sends text alerts to the onsite facilities management team in the event of a mains failure that ensures action can be taken effectively and immediately.
- IP55-rated enclosure to protect against water and dust
- Internal safety shrouds offering IP2X internal protection
- Stainless steel fabricated enclosure with textured grey finish to match surroundings
- 400A manual changeover switch
- Five powerlock drain connections rated at 500A
- 400A four-pole MCCB on incoming cables with adjustable earth leakage
- Rayleigh Instruments GSM transmitter on control panel for mains failed indication
- Perspex shield on enclosure for additional protection
- Lightning protector unit to remove transient voltages from mains incoming
- Digital display of amps, volts and frequency mounted on enclosure door
Approximate dimensions: 1600mm x 1130mm x 250mm